Modern twists on time-honoured favourites.
3 GRAIN SUMMER VEGETABLE BAKE
What do you need
- [ ] 400g Riso Gallo 3 grain mix
- [ ] 900ml vegetable stock (or your choice of stock)
- [ ] 1 red onion (peeled and finely diced)
- [ ] 1 stick celery finely diced
- [ ] 1 large courgette finely diced
- [ ] 1 leek washed and finely diced
- [ ] 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- [ ] 1 yellow pepper finely diced
- [ ] 1 red pepper finely diced
- [ ] Salt & pepper to season
- [ ] ½ tsp chilli flakes
- [ ] 1 small lemon zest & juice
- [ ] 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- [ ] 40g Parmigiano Reggiano grated
- [ ] 80g friselle (dried Italian bread)
- [ ] Extra virgin olive oil as required
Proposed by: Carmela Sereno Hayes
How to prepare:
This dish offers simplicity while echoing lightness paired with maximum flavour and a great texture due to the mixed grains of barley, spelt and rice. I would recommend for you to use your favourite seasonal vegetables to suit the time of year, swapping them for squashes throughout the autumn and winter.
Add the Riso Gallo 3 grain mix, vegetable stock, and prepared vegetables including the onion, celery, courgette, leek, garlic, yellow and red pepper into a large casserole dish.
Season with salt and pepper, stir and bake at 190C (fan assisted) for 40 minutes or until the grains and vegetables are tender, lid off.
Pop a tea towel over the friselle bread and use a rolling pin to break it up into rough textured crumbs. Mix the breadcrumbs with the freshly picked thyme leaves and grated Parmigiano Reggiano, this is your topping.
Remove the baked grains from the oven, check for additional seasoning. Add the chilli flakes and dress with the lemon zest and juice.
Spoon into shallow bowls and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture, finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Alternatively spoon the grain bake onto roasted Romano peppers and sprinkle over the textured topping.