Rice and risotto dishes that taste as great as they make you feel.
RUSTICO BLACK RICE FILLED TOMATOES
What do you need
- [ ] 160g Riso Gallo RUSTICO BLACK RICE
- [ ] 600ml Vegetable stock
- [ ] 6 large ripe tomatoes
- [ ] ½ tsp dried oregano
- [ ] ½ tsp dried marjoram
- [ ] 30g tomato puree
- [ ] 1 tsp capers rinsed & chopped
- [ ] 2 tbsp olives de-stoned & chopped
- [ ] 2 cloves garlic peeled & minced
- [ ] 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus a little extra for drizzling
- [ ] Small bunch basil finely sliced
- [ ] Salt & pepper to season to taste
- [ ] 60g stale breadcrumbs
- [ ] 3 tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- [ ] 1 small clove garlic peeled & minced
- [ ] 20g parsley or basil finely chopped
Proposed by: Carmela Sereno Hayes
How to prepare:
Pre-heat oven to 190C (Fan-assisted).
Warm the stock and cook the rice until tender, approximately 18-20 minutes.
Cut a small hat off the top of each tomato, remove the stalks, and finely chop the lids. Place the chopped lids into a small bowl. Set aside. Scoop out the inner pulp of the tomatoes and chop. Scrape the pulp aside into a sieve over a bowl. This will discard any watery residue.
Drain the rice. Drain the excess watery liquid away from the tomato pulp and place both the pulp, chopped tomato lid and rice into the bowl. Mix to combine. Add the dried oregano, marjoram, tomato puree, capers, olives, minced garlic, two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, basil and salt and pepper to the bowl. Stir well to fully incorporate.
Spoon the mixture evenly between your tomatoes. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
Fry the breadcrumbs off in the remaining extra virgin olive oil. Once lightly toasted scrape them into a bowl. Add the grated Parmigiano Reggiano, minced garlic and chopped parsley or basil. Stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Once the tomatoes are baked, remove the foil and sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumb mixture. Place bake into the oven uncovered for a further 5 minutes.