Rice and risotto dishes to cook quicky and easily.
ONE-POT ITALIAN SAUSAGES WITH RICE, SPELT & BARLEY
What do you need
- [ ] 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- [ ] 6 high quality Italian sausages cut lengthways
- [ ] 2 banana shallots peeled and finely chopped
- [ ] 1 stick celery finely chopped
- [ ] 1 medium carrot peeled and finely chopped
- [ ] 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- [ ] 350g Riso Gallo 3 Grain Mix
- [ ] 150ml white wine
- [ ] 1 tbsp tomato puree
- [ ] 350ml vegetable stock
- [ ] 250ml tomato passata
- [ ] 1 Parmigiano Reggiano rind (optional)
- [ ] Salt & pepper to season
- [ ] ½ tsp chilli flakes
- [ ] 1 bay leaf
- [ ] 1 tbsp celery leaves finely sliced
- [ ] 1 tbsp parsley finely sliced
Proposed by: Carmela Sereno Hayes
How to prepare:
Add 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil to a shallow sauté pan and fry off the sausages until seared and golden all over, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan, place on a plate and set aside until required.
Add the remaining olive oil to the sauté pan and over a low heat fry off the chopped shallots, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes until softened. Using your wooden spoon scrape the base of the pan, this will add instant flavour. Scrape in the minced garlic and tumble in the 3-grain ‘Rustico’ mix. Stir and coat all the grains in the softened vegetables and pour in the wine. Cook the wine off for 2 minutes then stir in the tomato puree followed by the stock and passata. At this stage you can add the Parmigiano Reggiano rind. I like to chop the rind into tiny cubes. Stir and season well with salt, pepper, chilli flakes and bay leaf.
Reintroduce the sausages back into the pan and cook the dish until the grains are cooked and aldente, approximately 15 minutes.
Remove and discard the bay leaf. Scatter in the celery leaves and chopped parsley. Ladle into warmed bowl and serve with rustic bread.