Modern twists on time-honoured favourites.
Risotto with chicory chicons and meatballs
What do you need
- [ ] 200 g Riserva 1856 Carnaroli rice
- [ ] 200 g chicory chicons blanched for approx. 5 minutes and cooled
- [ ] 20 veal meatballs
- [ ] 100 g veal meat
- [ ] cut into cubes
- [ ] 40 g extra virgin olive oil
- [ ] 30 g tomatoes chopped
- [ ] ½ onion finely chopped
- [ ] 1 glass white wine
- [ ] 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- [ ] 2 tbsp. mature 'caciocavallo' grated
- [ ] sweet peppers and tomatoes cut into matchsticks
- [ ] chilli
- [ ] salt
- [ ] pepper
- [ ] meat stock
Proposed by: Dora and Antonella Ricci
How to prepare:
Risotto with chicory chicons and meatballs: heat 20 g oil in a heavy-based pan and add the finely chopped onion and garlic. Cook gently for a few minutes to soften and then add the veal meat and meatballs. Cook for three minutes and then set aside. Using the same pan, stir the rice into the juices and cook until it is well coated and starting to colour. Pour in the wine and deglaze.
Continue cooking by adding a ladleful of hot stock, adding more as it gradually gets absorbed. Put the rest of the oil and the garlic in a shallow frying pan and cook the chopped tomato over a high heat for 2 minutes season with salt and pepper and set aside. 3 minutes before the risotto is ready, add the chicory chicons, veal, meatballs, chopped tomatoes, chilli, salt and pepper.
Before serving, add the grated ‘caciocavallo’ and beat to a creamy consistency.