Explore a new world of flavours
Bring the authentic flavours of Thailand, Japa, Indian Punjab and the Camargue to your kitchen.
Spicy Root Veg Biriy-oto
What do you need
- [ ] 1 medium onion
- [ ] finely chopped
- [ ] 400g root vegetable mix (carrot - parsnip - sweet potato) - cut into chunks
- [ ] 250g Carnaroli risotto rice (Gallo)
- [ ] 250g Balti curry sauce
- [ ] 1 large mango
- [ ] cut into small cubes
- [ ] 30g fresh coriander coarsely shredded
- [ ] 3 tb vegetable oil
- [ ] ½ tsp ground turmeric
- [ ] 1 tb medium curry powder
- [ ] 1 tsp cumin seeds
- [ ] 1 vegetable stock cube ( prepared into 800ml prepared stock)
Proposed by: Paul Gayler
How to prepare:
Heat a heavy based pan on the heat, add 2tb of the oil and when hot add the cumin seeds and lightly fry them in the oil to release their fragrance.
Add the rice to the oil and cook together for one minute until all the grains are lightly toasted. Stir in the turmeric and the curry powder.
Heat the stock to boiling, then prepare the rice as for making a classical risotto.
Meanwhile heat remaining oil in a pan, add the onion and root vegetables and fry until lightly browned.
Stir in the curry sauce, add 200ml water and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes to cook the vegetables until just tender.
Add the finished rice and fold gently together.
Transfer to a serving dish.
Garnish with the mango pieces and scatter over the coriander and serve.