3 GRAIN SUMMER VEGETABLE BAKE
Recipe Created By:
Carmela Sereno Hayes
What you will need
- 400g Riso Gallo Rustico 3 Grain Mix
- 900 ml vegetable stock (or your choice of stock)
- 1 red onion, peeled, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 large courgette, finely diced
- 1 leek, washed, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- Salt & pepper, to season
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 small lemon, zest & juice
- 1 tbsp. thyme leaves
- 40g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (or Vegan/vegetarian alternative)
- 80g friselle, (dried Italian bread)
- Extra virgin olive oil, as required
How to prepare:
Add the Riso Gallo 3 grain mix, vegetable stock, and prepared vegetables including the onion, celery, courgette, leek, garlic, yellow and red pepper into a large casserole dish.
Season with salt and pepper, stir and bake at 190C (fan assisted) for 40 minutes or until the grains and vegetables are tender, lid off.
Pop a tea towel over the friselle bread and use a rolling pin to break it up into rough textured crumbs. Mix the breadcrumbs with the freshly picked thyme leaves and grated Parmigiano Reggiano, this is your topping.
Remove the baked grains from the oven, check for additional seasoning. Add the chilli flakes and dress with the lemon zest and juice.
Spoon into shallow bowls and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture, finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Alternatively spoon the grain bake onto roasted Romano peppers and sprinkle over the textured topping.
You can use your favourite seasonal vegetables to suit the time of year, swapping them for squashes throughout the autumn and winter.
This dish can easily be vegan by swapping the Parmigiano Reggiano for a vegan friendly-cheese.