BAKED CHEESE AND TOMATO RISOTTO
Recipe Created By:
What you will need
- 300g Riso Gallo Traditional Risotto Rice
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon of Italian mixed herbs or Basil or Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli (double if wanting more spice or add the same quantity of paprika)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes (drain off juice and place in measuring jug and top up to make 1 litre)
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 75g frozen peas
- 100g grated cheese
- 2 slices bread
How to prepare:
This recipe is part of our Luxury for Less collection. Ingredients serve 4 people at a cost of 75p to 80p per portion
Add stock cube to the hot water and allow to dissolve.
Add the sunflower oil to a casserole dish or large frying pan and gently cook the onions, garlic for a few minutes then add the risotto rice. Stir gradually for 2 mins then add mixed herbs and chilli flakes cook for a further 2 minutes.
Place the two slices of bread onto a baking tray and place in the oven, turn the oven on to heat to 180c/gas 6 so the bread dries out whilst it’s heating up. Turn the bread after 5 minutes and cook for a further 5 minutes then remove to cool.
Add approximately 200ml stock/tomato juice at a time to the saucepan stirring all the time and cooking for 2/3 minutes each time. Repeat until you have used all the stock/tomato juice, then after the final 2/3 stir add then chopped tomatoes you’ve strained off.
Keeping the saucepan on a gentle heat stir for a further 4/5 minutes then transfer to a casserole dish.
Take the dried bread and either crush by hand or blitz with a blender. Add to a bowl along with the grated cheese and mix together before you sprinkle on top of the risotto rice mixture and bake for 20/25 minutes.
Once cooked set aside for 5 minutes before serving allowing the cheese to set.
Use sweetcorn or peppers instead of peas or fry of some diced bacon at the same you dry the onions and garlic, even smoked sausages would work.