RISO GALLO BLACK RICE PUDDING
Recipe Created By:
What you will need
- 90 g RISO GALLO BLACK RUSTICO RICE
- 150 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soft muscovado sugar
- 10 g bitter cocoa powder
- 40 g milk or dark chocolate – grated plus more for topping
- pinch of salt
- Two tbsp toasted and roughly chopped hazelnuts – plus more for topping – optional
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Soft whipped double cream – sweetened with muscovado sugar (optional)
- Grated chocolate to taste
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Fresh sliced mango or other preferred fruit
How to prepare:
Rinse your rice a couple of times with cold water. Place in a saucepan with the coconut milk, water, sugar, salt and cinnamon stick. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until the liquid has been completely absorbed. The rice should still be al dente and not overcooked.
Add the cocoa powder and the chocolate and fold until this is completely melted. Remove the cinnamon stick and add some of the hazelnuts if using.
Divide the rice into two bowls, and top with softly whipped cream and the toppings of your choice.
Notes: The Sicilian recipe uses almonds and finishes the recipe with candied orange peel for a citrusy note. It is served as a cake and sliced, sprinkled with fresh cinnamon before serving. I used coconut milk as an alternative to milk, for a South East Asian twist, where the black rice pudding is served for breakfast. Try it with some toasted coconut flakes.