BLACK RICE SALAD WITH COURGETTE PESTO ALMOND AND SHAVED RICOTTA
Recipe Created By:
What you will need
- 260g of Riso Gallo Black rice
- 1 green courgette
- Fresh herbs to garnish (basil and rocket salad)
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 20g of almond, skinned and chopped
- 20g of hard ricotta›Salt and pepper to taste
For the Pesto
- 2 green courgettes
- 20g of grated Grana Padano cheese
- 50ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 10g of almonds, skinned
- 5g of fresh basil, picked and washed
- 5g of fresh mint, picked and washed (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare:
First and foremost prepare the pesto. Shred the courgette with a grater, season with salt and leave it to drain for at least 1 hour over a sieve. Once the excess water is gone, put the shredded courgette in a food processor with all the other ingredients. Make sure you “pulse” the courgettes as you want to have a grainy paste with consistency and not a too lose pesto. Once at the right texture – keep aside in a jar. You can store the pesto in the fridge for a couple of days to use in a variety of other dishes, such as pasta.
Cook the Black rice in salted boiling water for about 16 minutes and drain while still a little al dente. Cool the rice down under running water.
Cut the remaining courgette into a fine julienne and season with salt. Pat the courgette dry and mix together with the rice in a large bowl.
Now dress the Black rice salad with the courgette pesto and add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Mix well and plate in large bowls. Top the salad with chopped almonds, fresh basil, rocket leaves and some shaved ricotta.